I just recently got asked by a photographer to optimize the workflow.
The hardware used is :
1 Macbook Pro
1 NAS Synology 416 (4×4 TB)
4 x 4 TB USB Disks
1 Nikon D5
1 Nikon D750
1 Nikon D4
The software used is :
1 Lightroom CC Classic
1 Photoshop CC
1 Backblaze Backup Agent
– Eliminate the risk of data loss as good as possible
– Provide access to all assets even on the road
– Improve the process of searching / finding assets
– Keep costs low
– Keep manual low
– Process should also work once multiple photographers are working together
– On the working machine (macbook pro) there’s multiple lightroom catalogs (archive and one catalog for each unfinished shooting)
– The archive catalog contains all shootings considered done (files sent to customer)
– A catalog for each unfinished shooting is required as we merge the catalogs into archive, this is way easier with individual catalogs
– The photographer always has a USB disk in the field, once the shooting is done the files are copied to the macbook pro and from there to the USB disk, if internet is available the backblaze agent is sending the files to the cloud over night (so raw files are on the camera flash, on the macbook pro, on the usb disk and best case on the cloud backup solution the day after the shooting)
– Once the photographer is home again, the lightroom archive catalog and the catalogs of the finished shootings are merged, the files are then copied (ONLY VIA LIGHTROOOM) to the NAS.
– The NAS is backed up to the USB disks once a week, the disks are stored in a secure location
Using this approach its very unlikely to lose data, even on the road the data is relatively save. Via cloud solution it’s possible to access all files at any given time in case there’s a internet connection available.
In order to save time in re-sending files to customers (one of the main tasks as I learned), we applied a very strict keywording concept.
- Customer Name
- Customers Project Name
- Event Type
- Private or Business
- Final (only for files sent to customer)
This allows lightroom search queries like : wedding peter weggis final
This reduced the effort to resend files from minutes or hours to seconds.